I made a wild claim in yesterday’s post that everyone’s heard of lavender, but the same is even more true of lemon. The juice of the lemon has been used for centuries to treat and prevent scurvy (hence the reference in the title), but did you know that lemon essential oil supports memory and relaxation? If those pirates diffused the essential oil of lemons, cold pressed from the rind in California and Italy, they would experience clarity of thought and purpose.
Pirate mice would be happy to know (and all of us, by extension) of a 2006 article in Behavioural Brain Research indicating that lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect in mice. And doesn’t it make you feel less stressed to know about this article published just yesterday in the journal Reviews on Environmental Health discussed studies of the efficacy of lemon, among other oils, as having antifungal properties for the improvement of indoor air quality?
A quick note, though–pirates using lemon essential oil should be aware that it can cause possible sun sensitivity, and should avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product.
Here’s Young Living’s instructions for use of Lemon and Lemon Vitality:
Topical: Dilute 1 drop with 1 drop of V-6™ or olive oil and apply to desired area as needed.
Aromatic: Diffuse up to 1 hour 3 times daily.
Internally: Put 2 drops in a capsule. Take 3 times daily.
Fun fact: It takes 3,000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of oil! That’s 35.274 ounces to you and me!
And just in time for Halloween, here’s a scrumptious recipe from Young Living using Lemon:
- 2 quarts fresh apple cider
- 1 orange, unpeeled and cut into slices
- 3 drops Lemon Vitality™ essential oil
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark Vitality™ essential oil
- 1 drop Clove Vitality™ essential oil
- 1 drop Nutmeg Vitality™ essential oil
- Cinnamon sticks, for serving
- Combine apple cider, orange slices, and essential oils in a large pot and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or more.
- Discard orange slices.
- Serve warm. Add 1–2 cinnamon sticks to individual cups when serving.
Ready to buy your very own starter kit? Visit bit.ly/DonnaFitchYoungLiving today! You’ll thank yourself every day.